Sayings of Belize
- No one says his own buttermilk is sour.
- Your finger never say look here, it says look there.
- If you make your bed hard you have to sleep in it.
- Fun bring pain until you cry
- Kind words never break a jaw bone.
- A bad thing never has an owner.
- Keep your ass in line with your heels.
- When cock-roach makes a dance it doesn’t invite the fow
- A tiger may be skinny, but his butt is strong!
- Blood is thicker than water but water taste better.
- Too much of one thing is good for nothing.
- You could make a horse go for water, but you can’t force it to drink.
- Haste makes waste.
- Today is for me, tomorrow is for you.
- If you follow the ghost you’ll jump in the water.
- The dead are soon forgotten
- Never drop the bone to catch the shadow.
- God never gives you more than you could bare.
- He’s scared like a cat.
- When a dog have money he eats cheese.
- If you play with a puppy he’ll lick your mouth.
- A liar is forgetful.
- Where bones are not provided, dogs are not invited.
- Leave sleeping dogs alone.
- The cow knows where the weakest part of the fence is.
- The bottom of a bucket will eventually drop out after every day use.
- You hang with dogs, you’ll catch their fleas.
- The wall have ears.
- Every bully has his catcher.
- Little talk, more action.
- It’s a fool that is speaking, but it’s not a fool who is listening.
- Every fat bird has its day
- The cover of the book don’t tell the story!
- Cockroach don’t go to fowl’s dance.
- God doesn’t like the ugly.
- If it isn’t burnt, it isn’t done.
- John Crow thinks his children are white.
- when you get in trouble, you fit into a child’s shirt.
- Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.
- The leaf doesn’t fall far from the tree.
- One day belly full fattens a skinny dog.
- Blood cannot be washed out with blood.
- Everyday isn’t Sunday.
- Don’t cry over spilt milk.
- Every dog has his day
- What your eyes don’t see, your heart won’t grieve.
- If you’re sorry for a meager dog, the meager dog will turn around and bite you!
- Don’t exchange a black dog for a monkey.
- What my ears doesn’t hear, my ass doesn’t count.
- Same knife kill sheep kill goat
- If the shoe fits, wear it!
- Horse lazy to carry his grass will starve.
- If you don’t listen you will fee.
- The Cow does not belong in a horse’s gallop.
- A married man is a trouble.
- Every bully has his catcher.
- Man orders monkey, monkey orders his tail.
- Big words don’t break a man’s jawbone.
- Because of it’s mouth the fish got caught.
- You don’t know the use of the water until the well runs dry.
- Thieves never prosper!
- The chicken shits white and think it’s an egg.
- The sins of the mother will fall upon the child.
- Seeing me and living with me are two different things.
- Fisherman never says his fish is stink.
- Sickness comes in a hurry but takes its own time to leave.
- The eye of the master fattens the calf.
- The darker the berry, the sweeter the juice.
- The man who lifts up the horse tail knows his butt is red.
- Every pot has a cover
- When a man has nothing to do he goes to the savannah to tell the cows good morning.
- Food that’s not killing is fattening.
- If you don’t like the cow how can you like the calves?
- Monkey see, Monkey do!
- Don’t hang your hat higher than you can reach. ~ Belizean Proverb
- The higher a monkey climbs, the more butt he’ll show.
- A foolish dog barks after the moonlight.
- When the cockroach holds a ball he doesn’t invite chickens.
- When the tree is bent you cannot straighten it.
- Mouth can say anything.
- Show me your company and I’ll who you are.
- Trouble doesn’t make itself.
- He talks big, but he sh*ts small.
- An empty crocus bag cannot stand up.
- Time is longer than rope.
- When a man dies the grass grows to his door.
- Tiger walks carefully on a slippery slope.
- Not everything that has sugar is sweet.
- Don’t call the alligator a big-mouth until you have crossed the river.
Belize, formerly British Honduras, is an independent Commonwealth realm on the eastern coast of Central America. Belize is bordered on the north by Mexico, on the south and west by Guatemala, and on the east by the Caribbean Sea. Its mainland is about 290 km (180 mi) long and 110 km (68 mi) wide.(Source)
Belize has an area of 22,800 square kilometres (8,800 sq mi) and a population of 387,879 (2017). It has the lowest population density in Central America.
Belmopan is the capital city of Belize. located in Cayo District at an altitude of 76 metres (249 feet) above sea level.
Belize Kriol is an English-based creole language closely related to Miskito Coastal Creole, Jamaican Patois, San Andrés-Providencia Creole, Bocas del Toro Creole, Colón Creole, Rio Abajo Creole and Limón Coastal Creole.
“Land of the Free” is the national anthem of Belize. Lyrics:
O, Land of the Free by the Carib Sea,
Our manhood we pledge to thy liberty!
No tyrants here linger, despots must flee
This tranquil haven of democracy
The blood of our sires which hallows the sod,
Brought freedom from slavery, oppression’s rod
By the might of truth, and the grace of God,
No longer shall we be hewers of wood.
Arise! ye sons of the Baymen’s clan,
Put on your armour, clear the land!
Drive back the tyrants, let despots flee –
Land of the Free by the Carib Sea!
Nature has blessed thee with wealth untold,
O’er mountains and valleys where prairies roll;
Our fathers, the Baymen, valiant and bold
Drove back the invader; this heritage hold
From proud Rio Hondo to old Sarstoon,
Through coral isle, over blue lagoon;
Keep watch with the angels, the stars and moon;
For freedom comes tomorrow’s noon.